One of the most prominent changes happening in business communications is the switch from traditional PBX phone systems that rely on public phone networks to VoIP services.
VoIP, or voice over internet protocol, doesn’t have the limits that come with on-premise phone systems because it’s hosted in the cloud. It’s also more cost-effective. As a result, businesses of all sizes can access high-quality calling services at scale and from anywhere.
Enabling seamless collaboration among remote teams, eliminating long-distance call costs, and reducing the hardware burden, the demand for cloud-based business phones has been strong for years. And it’s not showing signs of slowing down.
In fact, robust market growth expectations point to VoIP being the future. The global VoIP market exceeded $30 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 15% from 2021 to 2027.
If your business isn’t already using a hosted PBX phone system, you’re probably considering making the switch. However, figuring out which provider to go with isn’t easy as there are so many options. To help you decide, we’ve put together this list of the top VoIP service providers for businesses that are ready for cloud communications.
1. Intermedia Unite
PCMag has named the Intermedia Unite unified communications platform as one of its Editor’s Choice winners for several years now. A complete cloud PBX system with videoconferencing, file sharing, chat, and more, it’s an all-in-one solution that’s a good fit for both SMBs and enterprises.
What you get with VoIP services from Intermedia:
- Stress-free onboarding with Intermedia’s Cloud Concierge service
- Best-in-class reliability – users can count on 99.999% uptime and a financially backed service level agreement
- Rich features that allow for seamless multi-channel communications and engaging experiences such as screen sharing and screen annotation
- Easy integration with third-party applications
- SSAE 16 Type II-audited data centers and PCI-DSS, HIPAA, and financial regulatory compliance
- Competitive pricing – Intermedia is one of the most cost-friendly VoIP service providers on the market, and with three pricing tiers, you can choose the one that best suits your business
2. RingCentral MVP
Another practical choice for businesses that want to enable their users to collaborate from anywhere, RingCentral MVP offers artificial intelligence features and app integrations you can customize to fit your business’s needs. The platform isn’t very intuitive, however, and there’s limited report customization.
What you get with VoIP services from Ring Central:
- Hosted PBX and unified communications solution
- Advanced collaboration features including screen sharing and meeting scheduling
- Hold music and an automated attendant
- Reasonable pricing and three different tiers to accommodate small businesses, mid-sized, and enterprises
With Nextiva, your business will also benefit from a multi-channel experience. The platform combines VoIP services with video, instant messaging, and surveys, but it doesn’t have the same rich features as some other hosted platforms.
What you get with VoIP services from Nextiva:
- High reliability – Nextiva promises 99.999% uptime
- Easy setup and the ability to add applications, such as sales and service productivity tools
- ISO/IEC 20071-certified data centers and solutions for PCI and HIPAA compliance
- Built-in intelligence and automation
4. Ooma Office
While your users won’t have the same functionality as other platforms, Ooma can be a good option for small businesses looking for no-contract VoIP services. Also, if you’re growing, you might outgrow this platform, pushing you to search for a new provider to get what you need.
What you get with VoIP services from Ooma:
- Budget-friendly VoIP services options
- Plug-and-play phones – Ooma sends you pre-configured phones to use
- Essential features, including videoconferencing and SMS messaging for the Pro pricing and up
- The ability to use your existing analog headsets (with an analog adaptor)
- Spam call blocking
5. Vonage Business Cloud
Vonage gives users a broad set of features, making it one of the more powerful VoIP services on the list. One thing that can turn off some businesses is that the prices rise significantly when you add on features. Things that come as standard with service providers like Intermedia, such as full support during setup, cost extra with Vonage.
What you get with VoIP services from Vonage:
- Custom integration options with popular business tools like Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics
- Intuitive user interface for both desktop and mobile apps
- Plenty of functionality, including voice and text communications and contact center software
- Rich admin features and good reporting features
6. Microsoft Business Voice
If your business leans heavily into Microsoft Teams, it’s worth considering Microsoft’s SMB VoIP phone services. This option integrates well with other Microsoft products and is cost-effective if you’re choosing it as an add-on.
However, there are limitations – such as a cap on calling plans and users – that can make Microsoft a deal-breaker. Also, the auto-attendant setup process is cumbersome, which adds an unnecessary layer of frustration to using this communications solution.
What you get with VoIP services from Microsoft Business Voice:
- Essential features, such as group calling, call queues, and auto attendants
- Deep integration with Microsoft Teams (however, you’re limited to Teams as your productivity app)
- Works with VoIP-compatible desktop phones
- Wide range of pricing options, although you can’t get licenses for more than 300 users
Choose a VoIP Services Provider that Grows with You
All of the VoIP services providers on this list are worthwhile options. And, depending on your needs, some might be a better fit than others.
However, if you’re looking for an all-around reliable, secure solution, consider Intermedia Unite. With customer support that’s there for you 24/7, great pricing options, outstanding reliability, security, and compliance, and the perfect balance between advanced functionality and ease of use, you can jump into all the benefits of VoIP without the worry and hassle that comes with making a big technology change. And the best part? Intermedia grows with you, so you’ll never feel limited by your VoIP services.
Explore Intermedia Unite to learn more.