3 Ways AI Is Transforming Contact Centers in 2022
Today’s contact center is superior to the call centers of the past. The main reason for this: advancements in contact center technology, particularly the introduction of artificial intelligence. AI in contact center software is empowering businesses to make smarter business decisions and better serve customers.
There’s more good news: with cloud-based solutions, even small businesses can reap the benefits of contact center software with AI. Cloud-based platforms are affordable and easy to implement.
But, if your organization isn’t using a solution with artificial intelligence capabilities, you might not realize what you’re lacking – and what your competitors could be using to gain an advantage. Let’s unpack the ways AI is driving change in this space so your business knows what’s possible with an AI-powered solution.
What AI Is Doing for Contact Centers
AI has been a game-changer in the customer service field. Here are three ways artificial intelligence is transforming contact centers.
1. With the help of AI, agents, and customers are experiencing less friction.
With chatbots and call routing tools, contact center agents have more time to spend with customers, and call flows are being streamlined. As a result, both customers and agents are benefiting:
- Customers can choose to self-service their issue with AI. Instead of waiting on the phone to speak to an agent, they can communicate with a chatbot, which can direct them to the information they are looking for. This feature helps agents move through call queues faster and reduces friction for the customer.
- With smart routing, another AI-driven feature, customers are being connected with the most appropriate agent faster. And because the software is deciding where the call should go, your agents aren’t wasting time redirecting calls.
2. Organizations are using AI to generate real-time analytics for smarter decision-making.
Data visibility is critical for managing a successful contact center. Your managers need to see metrics on agent performance and call flows, and agents need visibility into the customer experience.
With the cloud and AI capabilities, you can use real-time dashboards to see what’s going on. You also have access to richer data that creates a clear picture of performance and customer experience (CX).
Here’s how contact centers are leveraging these benefits:
- Managers can identify emerging problems and fix them before they get out of control. For example, if the call queue is larger than normal, your dashboard will alert managers to the issue so they can add more agents or look deeper into agent conversations. Artificial intelligence can also measure nuances such as how often an agent interrupts a customer. Managers can use this data to figure out which agents to train or how to improve agent training.
- Managers and agents can better understand what customers are experiencing. For example, some types of AI are trained to use emotional intelligence to analyze tone of voice and cadence to try and read a caller’s mood. This data can also uncover quality shortfalls.
- If your software lets you create custom contact center analytics, you can build reports on talk-time intervals, call tracking, daily transfers, and more, making it easier to spot trends in your contact center activity.
- With a cloud-based contact center solution that integrates with your CRM (customer relationship management system), your contact center can also draw upon CRM data to create an even more comprehensive picture of the customer experience.
3. With AI, businesses can reduce contact center costs while boosting CX.
Because AI can take care of some of the workload typically handled by live agents, organizations can offer a 24/7/365 contact center without having to hire a larger staff. In fact, with a greater reliance on technology, companies can operate with a leaner contact center, reduce costs, and enhance the customer experience at the same time.
Here’s what AI can do:
- Conversational Interactive Voice Response (IVR) systems can serve as your callers’ first contact point. If the IVR can resolve the customer’s issue, an agent never has to get involved. IVR can also direct the call to the most suitable agent.
- Contact center software with AI chatbots offers another self-service option for customers. Chatbots use natural language processing technology to understand human conversations and provide customers with precise answers. Because customers can jump into an instant chat with AI, they might be able to resolve their issues faster than if they had to wait for a live agent. Offering a chat service is also something many customers prefer – in a 2019 survey, 63 percent of consumers said online chat is one of the easiest-to-use customer service channels.
- AI can also offer your agents recommendations as to what your customers might want or need. This information can help to reduce call times and lead to faster call resolution. It also enables your agent to offer a more personalized CX.
Take Your Customer Service to the Next Level with AI-Powered Contact Center Software
Thanks to AI, contact centers today can go beyond long-wait times and call friction. Customers gain convenience, more communication channel options, and a smoother experience. Agents are empowered to spend more time with customers who need the attention, and managers have the data visibility they need to run a more successful contact center.
Intermedia Contact Center is a cloud-based contact center solution with AI capabilities. Learn more about how advanced contact center software can help your business do more for your customers – explore Intermedia Contact Center today.